condencing steam through a venturi

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
chris major

condencing steam through a venturi

Post by chris major »

I have been searching for information about using water flowing through a venturi to draw a vacuum in a steam vessle and condence the steam as it is drawn into the venturi. I have found everything that is almost the same concept but nothing that is the same. Am I using the wrong searches or is it common knowlege that this doesn't work and I'm just the last to know? Hope someone will shed some light on this topic. Regards Chris
chris major

Re: condencing steam through a venturi

Post by chris major »

I'll try to ask a specific question. I'm going to try to make a prototype, want to draw about two litres of water/minute into the venturi (as steam). Don't know what that volume is as steam, don't know wether thats important as long as i can create a vacuum in the steam chamber, when that steam condenses to water the flow rate will be about 2l/m. I seen a thing on u-tube where a bloke drew a substantial vacuum with a venturi with tap from a tap running through it. What sizes should I make my venturi?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that using venturi effect calculator at: http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/venturi/ you can experiment with different pressures and tube diameters.

Tell me what will you use as "main" fluid through Venturi - what pressure and flow rate.
This will be required to know as than you can calculate pressure on the Venturi throat that will be used to aspirate steam. With this pressure in throat you can calculate flow of steam into the Venturi.

This is just to lead you...
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
chris major

Post by chris major »

Thankyou Admin,
The main fluid is the condensate, it is a flow loop from the reservoir- delivered through a valve system to the pump. The valves regulate the temperature with a termostat by introducing condensate that has flowed from the reservoiur via a radiator to ensure the temp is low enough to ensure that the steam condences. I would like to pressurize entire loop so that i can condense the steam to a temp above 100 degrees celcius- radiator cap = safety valve, i think some modern cars run at 140 degrees celcius- roughly 2.6bar- 39psi.

I want the pump to use the least amount of energy possible, Hope someone knows about that sort of stuff. Assume I want relatively high volume low pressure. A relatively high volume flow would also help dilute the latent heat from condensing the steam to reduce risk of steam flow fluctuations causing condensate in venturi to flash boil.

I don't have a background in this sort of stuff so hoping someone can get me in the right ball park. ( even though I don't have a background in this sort of stuff I believe I am reasonably safe because the steam is limited to 180 degrees celcius - so its roughly 100psi)

Basiccally want to know wether i should start with an inch - two inch - three inch venturi and what style of pump, what size pump?

Bye Chris