Help with air rocket firing problem

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
ianmredfern

Help with air rocket firing problem

Post by ianmredfern »

Hi All,

I found this site looking for some help with an air flow issue I am currently having with my work. I would point out at this stage that I work in what the engineers call "the colouring department" some work mainly on aesthetic/function of the product. But with our senior engineer away I have no one to turn to for assistance, so I am hoping that you can help out.

Basically I am working on a stomp pad that launches 5 projectiles.

The projectiles weigh 22g and fit over a shaft - ID 14mm (not 13 as in drawing!) OD 15mm - length to be determined

These projectiles need to fire a minimum of 1m, the shafts are angled at 20-22 degrees

I have attached a rough drawing.

What I need to know - if anyone can help me

1. How big a stomp pad (volume of air) is required to fire these 5 objects over a meter.

2. What is the minimum lenght of shaft I can get away with ?

Sorry if this may seem a bit simple, but it is beyond my skillset !!!

Thanks

Ian

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2088/frantic1.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with air rocket firing problem

Post by admin »

You need to have sufficient initial speed. If you have sufficient initial speed, kinetic energy is going to be transformed into potential and back to kinetic, giving you wanted distance.

The exact equation for angled projectile I do not have at the moment - maybe can find it on the net. There you have relation between velocity, angle and distance.

Once you have velocity, you can calculate flow rate for all tubes that you have based on internal diameter, or pressure drop in pipe that will be created.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000