Page 1 of 1

Pressure sensor....pressure type (static, dynamic or total)?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 am
by nikesh
Hello everyone,
I am new here...and I have a couple of questions I would like to ask, in a hope to hear from some experts in this field.
Recently, I've been working on pipe flows past a valve (gate and ball). This is installed at the bottom of a reservoir (Refer to the first figure). I want to measure Total pressure before and aft of the valve. I have been given a pressure sensor which has to be installed in the pipe and readings will be taken in the oscilloscope. The data will then be refined and Pressure at both the points can be obtained. But my problem is, I am not sure which pressure (static or dynamic or total) this sensor measures. Infact, none of my team mates have any answer to this. Please refer to pics 2 and 3. I'm hoping someone with experience in this could give me insights!
And my second doubt is: based on fig 1, where should the two pressure ports be located? According to the standard method for straight pipes, 2D upstream and 6D downstream of the valve are the appropriate positions for pressure-reading (ANSI/ISA-75.02-1996). But in my case, due to the presence of elbows and bends I am a little dubious about it.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Pressure sensor....pressure type (static, dynamic or total)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:30 am
by admin
Usually, pressure sensors placed on the pipe wall measure static pressure. For the sensor to measure the total pressure, it is necessary for the sensor to be in the pipe and to be directed toward the flow of the fluid. you can find more about it here ... l#pressure