Help Please: Viscous Oil Flow Rate

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
Noushka

Help Please: Viscous Oil Flow Rate

Post by Noushka »

Hi,

Would anyone have an idea how I could estimate the flow rate of Heavy Fuel Oil out of a simple tank with a hole in it?
This is not a pipe-type problem, so I have really been struggling with this case.

The oil in question has a viscosity of 380 cSt at 32 degrees Celcius.

I know the size of the hole and its position in the tank, but I dont know how to account for the viscosity of the oil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help Please: Viscous Oil Flow Rate

Post by admin »

Have you tried orifice plate calculator?
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
Noushka

Post by Noushka »

Yeah but it s not accurate, since it is a discharge into the atmosphere from a tank.
Someone told me to look into creeping flow theory.. but I would just like to do a simple hand calculation check!
Basically my problem is just like finding a way to estimate how long it would take for honey or shampoo to leak out of a pierced can!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see...
That is non statinary flow as you have pressure change over time so none of calculators availble on pipeflowcalculations.com is covering that problem. But in the near future it would be good to do one as many asks for tool that will solve similar problem.
The problem is also that fluids that you mention are nonnewtonian and calculation is even more complex.
Here is approach that I think is good enough:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10&p=23
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
Noushka

Post by Noushka »

Great, that should be a good start.
Thanks for the help!
zohanx747

Post by zohanx747 »

Basically my problem is just like finding a way to estimate how long it would take for honey or shampoo to leak out of a pierced can!
You can check out our latest Pass4sure 220-802 and wikipedia exams written by our certified teams to help you to get info.