Gas Flow Measurement

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
mwhi859716

Gas Flow Measurement

Post by mwhi859716 »

Natural Gas Storage Tank Natural Gas Storage Tank Natural Gas Storage Tank
| | |
| | |
------->------Flow Meter----^----------------Flow Meter-------^--------------Flow Meter-----^

With Pipe Diameter,Pipe Lengths, & Tank Volume and Pressure being equal, would all 3 flow meters read the same rate of flow?
With equal Pipe Diameter and Pipe Length, If an individual tank pressure becomes equal to the header pipe pressure would the flow meters read the same or different?

This is the configuration of a proposed natural gas pipeline with flow meters. Due to space constraints they cannot put the flow meters in line with the tank branch piping. Will we be able to accurately measure the flow into each tank as they are being filled simultaneously?

Excuse my ignorance. I am new in this industry and I am trying to learn the dynamics of gas pipeline measurement and control. Thank You.
-
mwhi859716

Re: Gas Flow Measurement

Post by mwhi859716 »

The vertical lines should line up with the ^ symbol. Those are my branch pipes used to fill the tanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Gas Flow Measurement

Post by admin »

If I understand you correctly, the first meter will measure total flow rate, the second one will measure total flow rate minus the flow rate that entered first tank, etc... If the pressure in tanks equals pressure in pipe and no gas enters in reservoir, flow rates will be the same (if taken to the same condition of pressure and temperature with volume corrector).
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000