what is GPM flow rate through a 6" Schedule 80 at 75 PSI

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
Richard

what is GPM flow rate through a 6" Schedule 80 at 75 PSI

Post by Richard »

I have a 6" sch 80 water line with 75 PSI, what is the GPM flow rate?. I'm installing a valve with a 3" ID on this 6" line. Does the GPM and PSI increase? What will the net GPM flow rate be? Thank you for any help.
admin
Site Admin

Re: what is GPM flow rate through a 6" Schedule 80 at 75 PSI

Post by admin »

To calculate flow rate you must know pressure drop - difference of pressure on the line start and on the line end. If line end is atmosphere than atmospheric pressure is the pressure on the line end.
You can use pressure drop calculator at: http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pressuredrop/

Also include valve resistance coefficient in calculator.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how to make the calculation. If you were to assume an open end line (atmospheric pressure) at 75 PSI, can you calculate the max rate of flow (GPM) for me? Also, what would the f/s velocity be at 75 PSI? I saw a chart showing over 5k GPM for a 5" pipe at 75 PSI and 12 f/s velocity. Again, thank you for any help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You have to know pipe length and valve resistance coefficient K?
Do you also have two reducers 6/3" and 3/6" on the pipe for valve?
Do you have elbows, tees or other obstacles in the pipe line?
Geometry of pipe line must be known to calculate pressure drop.
Richard

Post by Richard »

The application is a 6" line at 75 PSI which we insert an in-line valve with a throat diameter of 3" at the output of the water meter. The question posed is, will the 3" throat be able to provide the same (or close to) GPM rate. As for pressure drop, it would be variable, not knowing how many taps would be open at any given time. Can you make a calculation based on an open ended 6" line 10' long after the 3" throat is installed, how many GPM's would flow out the end of the 10' open-ended line. Wouldn't the GPM be the same as the 6" line without the 3" throat, just flowing faster?

I'm sorry I don't have the talent (or money) to figure this out, and I appreciate your help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For 10' 6" pipe with 75 psi on the start and flowing out to 15 psi (atm. pressure) you have very high flow of 7000 gpm and velocity of 24 m/s or 81 ft/s so I think this is not a model you are working on.
If you put any obstacles in the flow you will have lower flow rate in the pipe and local flow velocity increase where contraction is, but after contraction velocity will come back to initial value.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you for your help and time. If at all possible, it would be great if I could speak with you directly so I may provide a more detailed description. My number is 813-837-1183. Thank you, again.
michaeljee

Post by michaeljee »

Hi That is great, That is awesome information, i was also looking for this. please guide....Do you have elbows, tees or other obstacles in the pipe line?
Regards
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Michael, the admin answered the question that was posed to me. He was very helpful, and I thank him "For 10' 6" pipe with 75 psi on the start and flowing out to 15 psi (atm. pressure) you have very high flow of 7000 gpm and velocity of 24 m/s or 81 ft/s If you put any obstacles in the flow you will have lower flow rate in the pipe and local flow velocity increase where contraction is, but after contraction velocity will come back to initial value". Thanks again Admin.