Calculating Pressure Vs. Time While Filling Tank

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
Hankj

Calculating Pressure Vs. Time While Filling Tank

Post by Hankj »

I need to generate a graph showing the pressure of a tank vs. time. I will have a large tank pressurized, with air, at P1 connected to a smaller tank with piping of a known area A. The larger tank will be much larger than the smaller tank, therefore, we can assume the large tank will stay at P1. The smaller tank has a volume of Vt

This question is almost identical to this question from the past from Cheresources: http://www.cheresources.com/invision/to ... elstorage/

However, I do not feel like the question was fully answered in that post. The equation that the poster was working with is:

ρair*v*A = [Vt*MWair/(ZRT)]*d(P-P1)/dt

Like the original poster, I am confused on how to calculate the velocity (v) and I understand that it changes as the pressure differential between the two tanks changes.

Additional Assumptions: No temperature change, friction from tubing is negligible.

Thanks so much in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Calculating Pressure Vs. Time While Filling Tank

Post by admin »

You can look at post here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10

This is similar problem as yours, but not exactly the same.

Your equation is I think correct but have to clarify some abbrevations used:
Vt - is volume of tank
MWair what is for?

rho * V * A = G = dm/dt is mass flow rate kg/s.
Ideal gas equation is pV = mRT => m = pV / RT; dm/dt = G = d/dt(pV/RT). For V=const, R=const. T=const. it is
dm/dt = rho * V * A = G = V/RT dp/dt.

The problem is that mass flow rate G is changing over time due to pressure drop. You have to use another equation for it and for your problem I think that you should use one of these two equations:

http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pip ... -and-pipes.

As you can see flow rate is depending on expansion factor, internal pipe diameter, resistance coefficient, and density at the start:

G = 1.111x10^-6 * Y * d^2 * ((p-p1)*rho1/K)^2.

This all leads to rather complex solution but as far as I can tell it will give result. Looking for comments on this as I would like to get the solution for this problem and develop calculator for problems like this.

Final diagram will look like the function t = K(p-p1)ln(p-p1) but exact calculation for K needs to be done.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
Hankj

Re: Calculating Pressure Vs. Time While Filling Tank

Post by Hankj »

MWair is the molecular weight of air.