perforated pipe

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
dstedman

perforated pipe

Post by dstedman »

The plan is for a 4" diameter 50 ft long capped perforated pipe with air flowing out to the end where there is a fan. The air flow fan passes 100 cfm at 1" of water pressure drop and poops out at 2". My apologies for the archaic units but that is the specifications that I receive from the fan company.
I wish to put holes in the pape about every ft (25 cm). I wish for the air to accelerate down the pipe, which It will automatically I think. I also wish for the acceleration to be somewhat uniform and as fast as feasable with the pump in question. At my level of (chemist) understanding I see the following: holes too small, no flow rate, long lag time for air entering the far end to get back out. Holes too large, no pressure drop left at the far end so again long lag time. I sense that a series of graded holes will work and without advice would drill about 3/4 at the far end and 0.25 or so at the near end but if someone knows how to calculate this I would be very appreciative. I sense that there is an optimum in there somewhere, but can not see how to calculate it with the web flow calculator provided.
batman

Re: perforated pipe

Post by batman »