Water Project.

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
DEM66

Water Project.

Post by DEM66 »

I need to run a pipe line 2,100 feet to a stock tank that is 100 feet higher in elevation than the well house. We generally would use 2" black poly or PVC pipe but I am concerned about the elevation change. I have looked at the calculators but have no idea where to start. Could you help me or is this going to be over my head?

Thanks.
PipeFlowCalcs

Re: Water Project.

Post by PipeFlowCalcs »

What is the flow rate you want to have?
You should use pressure drop calculator, and that 100 ft elevation should be added to calculated pressure drop with calculator.
See attached image assuming flow of 20 gpm.
Calculated pressure drop is 19.5 ftWS - feets of water, so for 20 gpm you will need pump with 100+19.5=119.5 ftWS head.
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
Pipe flow calculations - free fluid flow calculators
DEM66

Post by DEM66 »

Thank you for the reply. I am still determining what the flow rate should be. It will be based on the number of cattle that will be drinking from the tank but I am guessing at this point it will be about 5gpm.

Here is a little more information on the system. This is a pasture we will be leasing and it has an existing well but we will need to replace the water system. The system will comprise of a submersible pump and pressure tank. I'm not sure how many gpm the well will produce but most wells around here produce 6 to 10 gpm.

I understand the calculator I little more now that I see your example but how did you determine P2 (pressure at end). I am guessing you calculated that based on pipe size and flow rate is that correct? If I knew how to get P2 I think I could use the calculator when I determine my flow rate.

Also shouldn't I be able to use this calculator to determine the smallest pipe size I could use once I determine my pressure in and flow rate?

Thanks again.
PipeFlowCalcs

Post by PipeFlowCalcs »

Pressure p2 is the pressure on the tank that is 2100 ft away - if I understand you correctly it is tank open to atmosphere, so it is atmosphere pressure in ftWS. Also p1 is absolute pressure.

Once you know flow rate you should be able by changing diameter to calculate required pump head and so you will be able to optimize between pipe diameter and pump size (smaller pipe will require stronger pipe).
Pipe flow calculations - free fluid flow calculators
expressfire

Post by expressfire »

Thanks PipeFlowCalcs,
You gave this information is so excellent.