calculate how flow rate changes as tank fill

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
robhare

calculate how flow rate changes as tank fill

Post by robhare »

Goodday
I'm in the buisness of salvaging ships and am have a problem when calculating my pump requirments . The problem is when a ship is holded on the bottom the cargo hold (tank)starts to flood quickly and slows down as the it fills untill stops when equal with the outside sea level. I can canculate the velocity and flow rate and size of the hole when the cargo hold is empty ( just been holded) but the thing is we are never there at the beginning . I can physicall measure the flow rate between say the 14m and 15 m mark with a stop watch and marks on the cargo hold side . From this how can i calculate what the flow rate would be at the 10m mark and then the 5m mark and so on ? I am ultimatly trying to find what the flow rate will be at 0m mark in the cargo hold , when the pressure difference is at it's max. From this I'll be able to get my pump requirments and calculate the size of the hole.
Thanks
Rob
admin
Site Admin

Re: calculate how flow rate changes as tank fill

Post by admin »

Here is the post that should have equations to lead you...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000