Control Valve as Final Control Element

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
mmigliore

Control Valve as Final Control Element

Post by mmigliore »

I received the following inquiry from one of the followers on the Flow Control magazine Facebook page:

"Is it a bad idea to develop a control valve that can be used as a final control element, flowmeter, temperature sensor and pressure measurement device? I have an idea!! Is it feasible?"

If anybody on this forum has a theoretical response to the above, I'd like to provide some high-level feedback. We would, of course, credit and/or link back to your website along with any responses we post.

Best Regards,

MATT Migliore
Editor in Chief, Flow Control Magazine
Grand View Media Group
P: 610.828.1711 | C: 484.255.9032
matt@grandviewmedia.com | www.FlowControlNetwork.com

subscribe to FLOW CONTROL magazine: www.flowcontrolnetwork.com/subscribe
follow FLOW CONTROL on FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/FlowControlMagazine
follow FLOW CONTROL on TWITTER: www.twitter.com/FlowControl_Mag

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail and any attached files transmitted are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain information which is covered by professional or other privilege. If you are neither the intended recipient of this e-mail nor the person responsible for delivering it to the intended person, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use of it is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete from your system. EBSCO Industries, Inc., its subsidiaries (including Grand View Media Group) and divisions accept no responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from the use of this email.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Control Valve as Final Control Element

Post by admin »

I think it is the question regarding market research more than technical question. It is good to have control valve that can give you exact values of controlled property, but if you want to have all in one device, more often I think it would be seen not needed than required.
So if control valve is for pressure control - of course it is good to use it as pressure measurement device, but why should we know the flow rate or temperature? It is of course good to know as many parameters as possible, but pressure and temperature measurement devices can be bought separately. Asking a question - will it be more expensive this way or the regular way might give you answer.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000