flowrates of a pipeline release

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
toste

flowrates of a pipeline release

Post by toste »

I would like to be able to calculate flowrates for a liquid release out of a pipeline. Usually we have the internal pressure of the pipeline and the diameter (or rough diameter) of the point where the liquid is leaking out.

For instance, if I have a pipeline transporting water with 1000 psig of internal pressure, and I have a blowout that results in a hole with a diameter of 1", what flowrate could I expect to see out of the hole, assuming a constant 1000 psi pressure in the pipeline? Would the answer be dependent of specific gravity, so that I might expect a different leak flowrate if the pipeline was transporting diesel? How about propane, which is in the liquid state at about 140 psig but would vaporize upon release into the atmosphere?
admin
Site Admin

Re: flowrates of a pipeline release

Post by admin »

For calculation through the hole in water pipe line system, you can use orifice plate calculator:
http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/orifice/index.htm

There you will have to choose - liquid and enter diameter of the pipe as D1 and diameter of the hole as D2, with pressure in front of the hole p1, and pressure after the hole p2. Than you will get the flow rate Q.

As you have to enter viscosity and density, it is obvious that flow will depend on the fluid.

For propane and its flow I think it is more complicated but you can use the same calculator with also liquid selected as fluid. Yes it will evaporate but after it passes through the hole and if the pressure drop is sufficient. If it flows out to the atmosphere than it will evaporate for sure, and no chocked flow will occur.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000