Control Valve Sizing

Forum about flow calculators available on pipeflowcalculations.com and how to find solution for your fluid flow problem.
mmigliore

Control Valve Sizing

Post by mmigliore »

Hello,

My name is Matt Migliore. I'm the editor of Flow Control magazine (www.FlowControlNetwork.com). I just stumbled upon your website. Kudos on developing an excellent resource. I'll be sure to let our readers know about it. My question concerns a user post I received on our Facebook page this week. The inquiry is:

"Can you please explain the reason for choosing a control valve size half lesser to the pipe line size?"

If possible, I'd like to provide a response but this is a little outside my area of expertise. If you have any feedback in response to this inquiry specifically and/or regarding best practices for control valve sizing in general, I'd really appreciate the help. If you provide your name and/or company and website, I'll be sure to include that information with the response on our Facebook page. Alternatively, you can "Like" the Flow Control Facebook page at www.facebook.com/FlowControlMagazine and respond to the inquiry directly as you see fit.

Best Regards,

MATT Migliore
Editor in Chief, Flow Control Magazine
Grand View Media Group
P: 610.828.1711 | C: 484.255.9032
matt@grandviewmedia.com | www.FlowControlNetwork.com

subscribe to FLOW CONTROL magazine: www.flowcontrolnetwork.com/subscribe
follow FLOW CONTROL on FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/FlowControlMagazine
follow FLOW CONTROL on TWITTER: www.twitter.com/FlowControl_Mag
admin
Site Admin

Re: Control Valve Sizing

Post by admin »

Control valves are regularly expensive products, so it is always good idea to save some money, but it is not the main reason for selecting smaller control valve size than main pipe.

If control valve is over dimensioned, problem might occur in its use. Too big control valve will probably most of the time work in almost fully closed position and periodically open a bit more and than close, leading to not steady flow - like pumping. This can cause non steady controled value at the end. If the controlled value is pressure, than you will be able to notice on gauge pressure oscillating around defined value.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
mmigliore

Post by mmigliore »

Thanks for the response. I've posted it on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/FlowControlMagazine as a comment to the original inquiry. I also posted a link on there to pipeflowcalculations.com and recommended our followers check out the site. If you're on Facebook, you may want to "Like" the Flow Control mag. page, as it would provide you the opportunity to respond to relevant reader inquiries directly and promote the offerings on your site. Thanks again. Let me know if you would be up for working together on larger editorial offerings in Flow Control magazine. Our publication could be a good venue for you to get your pipe flow-related expertise out to a wider/new audience.

Best Regards,

MATT Migliore
Grand View Media Group

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for offer as I would be interested in cooperation with you. So let me know once you have opportunity.
Pipe flow calculations - since 2000
mmigliore

Post by mmigliore »

I have some thoughts on how we might be able to work together, but perhaps it would be best to communicate via e-mail rather than on this forum. Do you have an e-mail address where I can reach you? Or, alternatively, you can e-mail me directly at matt@grandviewmedia.com?

Best Regards,

MATT Migliore
Grand View Media Group